I suggest you ...

Reusable Templates with Due date relative to event

I often set up a checklist of things I need to get done for a specific event. I would like to retain that checklist for future use around a similar event.
The best implementation would allow me to set up all the project's tasks with a relative date, such as D - 3, so that I could instantiate the project with a single date, and have all of its tasks be oriented to that date.

For instance, the due date for "check passport" is "90 days _before_ #departure" and "rent car" is "14 days _before_ #departure". Then to set up a new trip grid, I can just copy the tasks from the last trip and change "#departure".

15 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really like the idea of having a grid for task templates for specific events that come up. Back when there was a 'static' grid, I used to use that, where each box was a seperate template.

• David Luce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could this be jury-rigged by supporting Import and Export to an Excel-compatible format? If I could export all the properties of all tasks in a Grid for an old event to Excel, then I could adjust the Due date or Move-to Date (DMD) manually in a spreadsheet, and return the updated grid to Sandglaz as the grid for a new event.
        The manual solution, using Excel, would be much less elegant than supporting improved semantics in the DMD field.
        It would be much nicer if one could set any DMD to depend on a nameable hashtag, for example, "#Launch minus 1 day 2:00 hours". Within a task in the given grid, then, one could define a local (within the scope of a specific grid) date value for such a hashtag, perhaps by including a phrase like "#Launch equals 7/4/2013 14:00" in the task definition box. After such a task were marked "complete", the value of the hashtag would propagate to all the DMDs within the grid in which that hashtag had been used. The column selection would be based on the value for DMD calculated from the original definitions.
        The reusable grid would be archived with its original definitions for the DMDs. When I copied and renamed it, I could edit the description of the deadline-setting task which would set the hashtag to a new local value for "#Launch".

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Zaid,

I don't think recurring would work.
        E.g. if someone's an event planner.
        Events are randomly placed, but follow the same template.

- a month before the event, book a venue
        - 2 weeks before print tickets
        - the day before, set up venue.

I think the OP wants to select random dates for events, and automatically have the tasks associated with the event, fill in on the appropriate dates prior to each event, with the right hashtag assigned to the set of tasks created. #Birthday #concert etc.

Or whatever other recurring deadlines people have instead of event planning.

Feedback and Knowledge Base